Thursday, June 9, 2011

Warming up and Cooling down

Most workouts include a warm-up and cool-down to them.  What surprises me is how athletes interpret these.

To get the body to full power, it needs to start functioning.  It warms up not unlike a car.  The operating temperature for optimum chemical reactions needs to be built up.  Sugar needs to start flowing.  And the stiffness from the last workout needs be managed.  This can take long distance athletes 30 minutes.  There is no need during this time to worry about speed.  It is all about getting up to power.  GO SLOW.  Zone 1 is fine.  Often when I warm up for my runs I start at just below 10 minute miles.  On my speed days, I can take 1.5 miles of running before I try an interval.  There is no hurry.

Cool-down is also important.  I don't really think you 'cool down', but you do operate the engine at a slower speed.  This allows you to move some of the bad molecules you generate during work out of the cells.  It physically makes things move which helps clear out 'junk'.  Water is flushed through your system cleaning out cells.  Finally, muscles that may have tightened up get a chance to loosen up again.  But SPEED IS NOT IMPORTANT.  Your cool-down mile can be 40% slower then your on power running/riding/swimming.  Take your time.  Relax.  Your work is done.  This is the first step to recovery for your next workout.  And if  I hear you tell me about how fast your cool-down was don't be surprised if you get a bad reaction out of me!

So, take the time to get the machine up to speed before doing the work.  Then take the time to clean the machine out after the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment