Saturday, June 25, 2011

Diet vs. Nutrition

I had a good conversation with an Athlete the other day  I saw her at IM FL and was surprised to see her much heavier then I would have thought.  Speaking with this 3x IM many months later I connected the dots.  She had been told to eat freely and use junk to race as nutrition.  No wonder this former Fitness competitor was pounds overweight for this race.

In endurance sports, weight is speed.  Or specifically, less weight is speed.  This is a function of Diet.  Your diet is what you eat day to day.  Your meals.  This has NOTHING to do with training/racing nutrition.  For your diet, you need to cut bad fats way down.  As I say, if it is shiny don't eat it.  Cut sugars out.  Cheese?  Sorry.  Diet planning is a longer conversation but the keys are to eat clean, eat enough, and stay balanced.  Leverage Diet for recovery and weight loss.

Nutrition is what you take in during training and racing.  This can involve large amounts of sugars, caffeine, and salt.  Things that do not appear in your Diet.  Under work loads, the body manages nutrition differently and for different reasons.  Shorting working Nutrition will just inhibit your training and encourage your body to story fat for your next workout.  If your IM nutrition is wrong (too much or too little) you go from a good marathon run to a hellish marathon walk.  What sounds better to you?

Both topics involve a much more detailed conversation, but from this you get the idea.  Plan your Diet and Nutrition plan for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment