Friday, June 24, 2011

Searching for speed

I get a lot of questions from athletes looking for more speed:

  • Will race wheels make me faster?
  • Will an aero helmet make me faster?
  • Will the new _______ shoe make me faster?
  • I got the newest ______________ to be faster.
  • I am going to take product x to be faster.
  • Will product y make me faster?
Notice the thing that is missing in this list: Will training hard and hitting all of my workouts on my plan make me faster?  This is the only item I would answer yes to.

People will spend $300 to reduce the weight of their bike pedals by 100g, but will not skip a burger lunch that may take 100g off their waist.  Athletes will skip workout after workout on a plan, and avoid the tough days, but will insist race wheels will make them faster.  There is no replacement for work.

I concede, there is one place you can buy speed: a wetsuit.  This piece of equipment can make a big difference and the more expensive suits can help make bigger jumps.  But if you are only swimming 1500m per swim, even a good suit won't help.  So even this equipment is dependent on WORK.

I have seen what one of the fastest amateur cyclist's in the US does to get faster for Half IM distances.  It is not complex.  He goes hard.  Real hard.  Z4 for long periods of time.  Turns amazing shades of red and purple.  Does not let up.  Gets the work done.  Period.  No pill.  No gear.  No fad diet.  Simple, plan, hard work.  When you see others make jumps in performance, I bet if you sneak in to see their workouts you may see the same work ethic.

So stop making excuses.  Stop trying a new gadget.  That pill may help, or it may just be a waste of money.  What I can assure you is that if you are willing to work hard, push yourself, tolerate some pain, and keep going then you will get faster.  If you cannot do this, do not expect to get faster no matter how much you spend.

No comments:

Post a Comment